I am a dedicated and professional journalist with nearly 30 years experience working in television, radio, newspapers, magazines, the Internet, public relations, communications and short film scripting and production.
The hallmarks of my career are self-motivation, flexibility, professionalism, an eye to detail and a breadth of experience in Australia and overseas – which includes print and broadcast reporting, sub-editing, photography, extensive tertiary teaching, course development and short film production.
I am proud of the range of stories I have been privileged to tell across politics, the arts, religion, courts, crime, travel, general news, sport, and a wide range of community issues both here and overseas.
I thrive in a collaborative, supportive environment, where I can contribute meaningfully to the overall goals of a group or organisation.
- Executive, Spokesperson and Crisis Management Media Training
- News, Sports and Feature Writing
- Story research and development
- Interviewing preparation and skills
- People skills and networking
- Sub-editing, including grammar and punctuation
- Broadcast and presentation skills for Radio and TV
- Self-motivation and time management
- Sports commentary
- Voice Training, Presentation and Delivery
- Conducting small group tutorials
- Preparing and delivering lectures
- Assignment marking and general assessment
- Course design
- Organisational skills and time management
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY – SUMMARY
- 2002 – 2020 Freelance Journalist
- 2017 – 2020 ExecutiveMedia Trainer
- 2017 – 2020 Melbourne University
- 2019 World Junior Weightlifting, Fiji
- 2011 South Pacific Games
- 2006 – 2010 SBS TV
- 2006 Institute for Design, Entertainment & the Arts
- 2008 Paralympics, Beijing
- 2005 & 2007 Asian Indoor Games
- 2004 – 2005 China Radio International, Beijing
- 2004 Beijing Broadcast University
- 2003 Monash University
- 2003 South Pacific Games
- 2002 – 2004 RMIT University
- 2002 Deakin University
- 1999 – 2001 Network Ten
- 1995 – 1999 Herald Sun newspaper
- 1992 – 1995 Eureka Street magazine
- 1991 – 1992 Latrobe University
- 1988 – 1992 Cement & Concrete Association
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY – DETAILS
Skills: Self-motivation, excellent language skills, flexibility, persistence, the ability to identify and generate new ideas, research skills, resourcefulness, people skills in handling a range of different clients and identifying their needs.
- Royal Automobile Club Victoria
- Department of Sustainability and Environment
- Vital Health
- Wisden Cricket Online
- Melbourne Water
- Sunday Herald Sun
- Bicycle Victoria
- Castricum Brothers
- Melbourne Sports Writers Festival 2016
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (2002) – TV News and Sports Reporter
- Radio Australia (2002-2006) – Newsreader, reporter and sports programme presenter. Produced and presented a daily 30-minute sports program for live radio.
- SBS TV (2006-2010) – Melbourne-based sport and news reporter for SBS World News Australia
- China Radio International (2004-2005) – I was chosen to travel to China as part of an exchange program between Radio Australia and China Radio International, where I worked as an English language expert, sub-editor and presenter.
- South Pacific Games (Fiji 2003, New Caledonia 2011) – Sports reporter and commentator
- Asian Indoor Games (Bangkok 2005, Macau 2007) – Sports reporter and commentator
- Beijing Paralympics (2008) – Information specialist for Beijing Olympic Organising Committee
- Victorian Multicultural Commission (2010) – Producer, writer, director, 20-minute film on the experience of Indian students studying in Melbourne,
- Sports Without Borders, promotional video (2010) – Produced promotional video for charity launch
- UNAA Peace Awards (2016-2019) – Judge for online and new photography categories
- Melbourne University (2017-2020), Head Tutor, tutor and lectures in Journalism
- AusAID (2007) commissioned to write sports reporting course
- Institute for Design Entertainment and the Arts (2006), lecturer and course designer for Radio Broadcast Journalism
- RMIT University (2006), teacher in Radio Broadcast Journalism
- RMIT University (2002-2004), tutor in Mass Media and Communication and Media Law
- Beijing Broadcast University (2004), lecturer in postgraduate course, Writing for Radio
- Monash University (2003), tutor in Media and Communications
- Deakin University (2002), marker in Broadcast Journalism
- La Trobe University (1991-1992), Lecturer & Tutor in Sociology and Politics
As a freelance journalist I have run my own business for the past 14 years. I have sought out and performed work in all areas of the media, for a diverse range of clients as listed above. At all times I have delivered high-quality products that met the client’s needs. My work has required collaboration with a range of stakeholders and often been produced for tight deadlines and on restricted budgets.
I have taught at tertiary level at La Trobe University, Monash University, RMIT University, and Deakin University, the Institute for Design Entertainment and the Arts and the Beijing Broadcast University. The subjects I’ve taught include Communication and Mass Media, Media Law and sports reporting, radio writing, production and presentation from undergraduate to Masters level. I was also commissioned to write a course in sport journalism for AusAID.
I have significant experience in Live TV broadcast, live sports commentary, voice training and general presentation skills for both radio and TV.
Duties: General news, politics and sports reporting.
Skills: Writing for TV news, meeting tight deadlines and presentation skills – including live and pre-recorded work.
While at Channel Ten I worked on the most demanding round in Melbourne covering the daily ins-and-outs of the AFL. Our stories in Melbourne were regularly syndicated to national bulletins and I was required to work to tight deadlines and service several programs across the national network.
Duties: News and sports reporting.
Skills: Working to tight daily deadlines, managing a demanding round and maintaining and building reliable networks. Excellent interview skills and written and oral communication skills across a range of forms, including hard news, colour and feature articles. I also developed an excellent understanding of media law and the issues surrounding defamation and court reporting.
During my time at the Herald Sun I interviewed hundreds of different people including State Premiers, politicians, sport stars, business and community leaders and people on the street. I covered areas as diverse as politics, courts, police rounds, sport, travel, feature writing and general community matters.
Duties: Writer, part-time photographer and editorial assistant, advertising sales representative across several publications, editor of the magazine Jesuits in South East Asia.
Skills: Editorial and commissioning responsibilities, understanding of monthly magazine deadlines and use of PageMaker, Understanding of the relationship between advertising and content and managing budgets.
Eureka Street magazine was set up by the Jesuits in Australia as a forum for discussions on the major topics of the day driven by the Jesuits commitment to social justice and equality. Jesuits in South East Asia was an internal publication for the order to unite their various works across South East Asia and required extensive travel throughout the region to gather stories.
Cement & Concrete Association
Duties: Responsible for the content and publication of a specialist, training manual for the Cement and Concrete Association entitled ‘Concrete Basics’, which is still in print nearly 30 years later. The manual was specifically written to improve communication for non-English speaking background workers in the construction industry This work won me a National Engineering Excellence Award from the Construction Industry. I was also responsible for writing press releases writing and general public relations. For the association.
Skills: Working with industry, producing highly technical information in simple and clear language, anticipating and responding to market issues related to concrete use.
- 2012 – Present Bachelor of Law UNE
- 1992 Media Law Course MEAA
- 1985 – 1990 BA (Hons) Political Science Melbourne University
- 1977 – 1984 Higher School Certificate Xavier College
I hold a current full UK and Australian drivers licence and a current Working With Children check.
I enjoy and value international experience and have travelled and worked in Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. My travel has included work assignments in Indonesia, East Timor, The Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand and China.
I enjoy reading detective novels; gardening and seeing my two children grow into exciting and engaged young adults.